On Tuesday, Sept. 17, the City's contractor, SD&C Construction, will begin mobilizing to repair turning-radius issues on Oakcliff Road between Windsor Oak Drive and Pin Oak Circle. These improvements include curb and gutter, sidewalk, ADA ramps, driveway entrances, resurfacing, catch basin tops and stamped concrete. The project also will replace overhead wires and signs at multiple locations on Oakcliff Road and Buford Highway. This new signage will alert heavy trucks to the restrictions for traveling on Oakcliff Road and the traffic calming infrastructure on the road.
Specifically, the project will:
- Widen the radius for right turns from Windsor Oak to Oakcliff and left turns from Pin Oak Drive to Oakcliff Road.
- Replace existing small center islands with 4-inch-high, mountable, stamped concrete islands.
- Replace sidewalk and curb on the north side of Oakcliff between Windsor Oak Drive and Pin Oak Circle, and install red stamped concrete between new mountable curb and new sidewalk.
- Mill and inlay 1.5 inches of asphalt between Windsor Oak Drive and Pin Oak Circle.
- Install new thermoplastic striping.
You may see workers marking utilities and placing signs before construction begins. During construction, flaggers will control traffic. Construction will occur between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. Unfortunately, there may be traffic delays during the construction. The City expects to conclude construction before the Thanksgiving holiday (late November).
This is Phase I of improvements to Oakcliff Road. Phase II is currently in concept design and will include improvements to, and beautification of, the entire length of Oakcliff Road from the City limits at the west end to Pin Oak Circle on the east end near the Doraville overhead gateway sign. Details on Phase II will be provided soon.